|First Magic Baby Reversible Overalls|
An experiment that worked
|Miss E was just a baby when she first wore|
On the reverse, I used a decorator-weight cotton sateen in light blue, and added pockets lined with the stripe, all of which blended beautifully with a fall leaf fabric in cotton. The colors were perfect for my red-headed granddaughter!
As cute as the design came out, there were some problems I discovered while testing out my ideas. First of all, there is no leg opening for ease of diaper changes in this initial design. Since making it, I have, of course, made allowances for adding either snaps or snap tape to baby sizes.
Secondly, with the back bodice design including built-in crossed straps, the shoulder tabs would have needed to be lengthened in order for me to make them adjustable. I made this adjustment, as well.
Finally, the gathering into the bodice is adorable, but perhaps not great for a boys design, which would look better with pleats or straight. This, of course, is an easy design change that I have made moving forward.
In the end, I have saved this cute design as a special one for my own grandbabies, and have created four simplified overall designs for my Magic Baby line. I do love this one, though, and seeing it makes me want to sew up a new pair!